AP 150 to 141
Dr. Joseph Palackal introduces two Syriac chants during Qurbana in Houston.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Dr. Joseph Palackal introduces two Syriac chants during Qurbana in Houston.
|Place of Recording||Syro Malabar National Convertion at Hilton Convention center, Houstan , Texas, USA|
|Date of Recording||1 August, 2019|
|Video Segment (s)||
Sagdinan Mar and Bar Maryam, during bilingual Qurbana at the American Syro Malabar Convention in Houston, Texas. Saturday, August 3, 2019. 8 am.
Sagdinan Mar, the famous Christological hymn in Syriac, became a topic of conversation in the USA for the first time at St. Jude Syro Malabar Catholic Church in Northern Virginia, on 26 May 2018 (See Aramaic Project-101 https://youtu.be/o3CFm1eH3Jc). On that day, the First Communion children started the celebration by singing Sagdinan Mar. Felix Simon, cofounder of the Aramaic Project, had prepared the children to sing the song. Considering the menaing of the song text, it is the most appropriate song for the Frist Communion children,. The song reiterates the faith in the divinity and humanity of Jesus, the core content of our Christian faith.
When the choir for the Syro Malabar Convention (2019) in Houston showed interest in including Syriac chants in the liturgy, I enthusiastically suggested Sagdinan Mar and Bar Maryam. I convinced Kavitha Joseph, the choir leader, of the significance of the song, and she agreed to introduce it to the choir. By the time I arrived in Houston, the choir had already learned the melody. After the initial practice, however, I suggested we change the performance practice of the chant by singing it three times in three ascending pitch registers. Sebastian Ottplackal immediately prepared the score and made the transition easy. This is, probably, the first time Sagdinan Mar is sung as an entrance song. Let us hope more and more church choirs will warm up to this chant and that it will become part of the liturgical and theological experience of the new generation of Syro Malabar Catholics across the world.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
20 August 2019
- AP 6j - Dr. Jacob Vellian sings the mMelody of "Sagdeenan maar."
- AP 25f - Rev. Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal: Melody of “Sagdeenan maar”.
- AP 79 - Sagdinan Mar: A unique Syriac chant (Christological)
- AP 91 - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt sings "Sagdīnan mār"
- AP 98 - The aramaic chant "Sagdinan Mar".
- AP 101 - Sagdīnan mār. at First communion. Northern Virginia
- AP 107e - Fr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI on "Sagdinan mar"
- AP 113 - Dr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI, speaks On "Sagdinan Mar," the Christological hymn
- AP 134 - Sagdinan mar" in Toronto, Canada
- AP 146 - Practice session for bilingual Qurbana at National Convention in Houston, Texas
- AP 179 - Papputty Master (Violin instrumental track)
- AP 196 - Ramsha Mariam Payyappilly sings syriac chant
- AP 243 - Children Group sings at St Jude Syro Malabar Catholic Church
- AP 315 - The ESSENCE of SAGDINAN MAR - by Joseph Palackal, CMI
- AP 4w - Bar maryam [Son of Mary] Track 25 Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 5a - K. O. Chacko Koythadathil sings "Marayor paawe," a Tamil song in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, set to the tune of the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 15c - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt Sings "Bar Maryam"
- AP 51m - Hymn in honor of St John Nepomucene to the melody of ’Bar Maryam.
- AP 53 - George Thaila in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- AP 59b - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about the famous Syriac chant "Bar Maryam"
- AP 87 - Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal
- AP 173 - "Bar Maryam" as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia. 2019
- AP 184 - CMI fathers in North America learn, "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 185 - Catherine Felix plays the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary) on piano.
- AP 187 - The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio
- AP 229(218) - Bar Maryam at Dharmaram College (2014)
- AP 278 - Is 'BAR MARYAM' ("Son of Mary") KNANAYA? : 'ബർ മറിയം' "മറിയത്തിന്റെ മകൻ"
Videos related to Sagdinan Mar
Videos related to Bar Maryam