AP 90 to 81
Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil.
|Place of Recording||Live recording from the funeral services for Fr. Thomas Vettikkal|
|Date of Recording||2017|
|Video Segment (s)||
Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil
Live recording from the funeral services for Fr. Thomas Vettikkal (1931-2017). Syro Malabar diocese of Pala, Kerala. Lead voice: Fr. Cyril S. Thayyil. Note: This is a precious chant from the (East) Syriac repertoire of the Chaldeo-Malabar Church in Kerala. The chant is unique from the perspective of the text and the melody. The change of narrative voices in the text and the melismatic ending of phrases are note worthy. A detailed study of this chant can be found in my chapter in Music and World Christianities (Oxford University Press, 2016) The chapter contains transliteration and translation of the Syriac and Malayalam versions of the text. The Syriac text is heard only rarely at present. Fr. Cyril Thayyil sings the chant first in Syriac and then initiates the Malayalam version.Joseph J. Palackal
1 May 2018
Transliteration and translation of text by Fev. Dr. Thomas Kalayil, CMI
1. Ēdtâ pūš(y) lēk(y) bašlāmâ: ʾāzēlnâ lî: W ̔āmōrayk(y) bzaddīqūţâ: ṣallāw ͑ lay. O church, remain in peace, I am going; And thy dwellers in righteousness, pray for me.
2. ʾAḥay wḥabray ḥabbībay: ͑ubdūhy ldukrān(y): Dperšēt menkōn walālam: ṣallāw ͑ lay. My dear brothers and friends, celebrate my remembrance; Because I have departed from you and for ever, pray for me.
3. ʾĀzēlnâ wlâ dāhēlnâ: dmār(y) qārê lî: Waklīl šubḥā sā ͗ēm ͑al rēš(y): wamḥaddê lî. I am going and am not afraid, my Lord is calling me; He is placing the crown of glory on me and is gladdening me.
4. Malaʾkâ detâ wdabrāk: la ͑dēn nāwblāk: Wqurbānâ lmārāk nqarbāk: zel bašlāmâ. May the angel who came and took thee to Eden, lead thee; We shall offer thee as an oblation to thy Lord, go in peace.
5. Pūš(w) bašlāmâ kahnê zhayyâ: dperšēt menkōn: Wmâ dqāymītōn bgāw bêt qudšâ: ṣallāw ͑ lay. Remain in peace, O reverend priests, though I have departed from you; And when you stand in the sanctuary, pray for me.
6. Pūš(w) bašlāmâ ʾaḥay wḥabray: wabnay ͑enyān(y): Dsarheb māwtâ paršan(y) menkōn: ṣallāw ͑ lay. Remain in peace, O my brothers, my friends, and my companions; Because death has hastened and separated me from you, pray for me.
7. Pūš(w) bašlāmâ ͑ammâ gabyâ: kenšâ prīqâ: Māran nnaṭar laknūšātkōn: ṣallāw ͑ lay. Remain in peace, O chosen people, redeemed congregation; May our Lord keep your assemblies, pray for me.
8. (If the departed priest was a Malpān) ʾO talmīday wabnayenyān(y): lâ teṭ ōnān(y): Wmâ damlītōn baktābê: ʾetdakrūnān(y). O my disciples and my companions, do not bear me; Nonetheless, remember me when you toil with books.
- AP 11-26 - "Witawangunnen" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Malayalam version of Etha Pus Lek
- AP 12a - Wita wangunnen. Fr. Abel CMI. funeral for priests
- AP 59a - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about a unique Syriac chant from the funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 62dd - Melody of Wita Wangunnen (funeral service for priests)
- AP 81 - "Etha Pus lek" from funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 81a - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 84 - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal
- AP 131 - Fr George Vithayathil sings "Witawangunnen" from funeral service for priests
- AP 140i - Nrupanaam Misiha. From the funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140j - Walsala Janame. From funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140k - Unnatha Wanitame. Funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140l - "Mruthiyute nadam." Funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140m - Anthimayaathra' funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140n - Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140o - "Witawangunnen naswaramulakil." funeral precession. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140p - "Anayunniso." Funeral services. Syro Malabar. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140q - "Parishudhanmar." Funeral services. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140r - "Nadhananjitumanthima Nalil." Funeral services. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 177 - "Witawangunnen" Funeral services for priests. Fr. Sankoorikkal
- AP 230(219) - The meaning of "Qurbana" in the chant, ETHA PUS LEK. Dharmaram college. (2014)
- AP 235 - വിടവാങ്ങുന്നേൻ In Homage to Fr. Cherian Nereveetil. Voice of Fr. Abel CMI.
- AP 236 - Homage to Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR : 'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE!
- AP 92 - Fr. Cyril Thayyil Chants the Institution narrative in Syriac
- AP 111 - Turgama (interpretative song): Fr Cyril Thayyil and Fr Joseph Kizhakkekkutt
- AP 122 - Fr Cyril Thayyil. Solemn Qurbana in Syriac. Koovappadam, Kochi
- AP 154 - Fr Cyril Thayyil: A Promise to the future of Syriac chants in India
- AP 155a - Fr. Cyril Thayyil sings "O Desdamman," Turgama before Epistle
- AP 155b - Fr. Cyril Thayyil. "Oh damahaimaneen," Turgama for Evangelion
- AP 156 - Fr Cyril Thayyil: Solemn Qurbana in Syriac at Kuravilangad
- AP 248 - QAMBEL MARAN By Fr. CYRIL THAYYIL at the tomb of Mar Joseph Kariattil on 9.9.21
- AP 251 - Fr. Cyril Thayyil in conversation with the Alangad Syriac Choir
- AP 252 - An example of a "Coda" to 'Qandisa Alaha' by Mr. Paulose Pallikkara, Alangad.
- AP 328 - Fr. CYRIL THAYYIL and Malpan GEORGE PLATHOTTAM