AP 90 to 81
Witawangunnen. Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Witawangunnen. Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal.
|Place of Recording||Live recording from the funeral services for Bishop James Pazhayattil|
|Date of Recording||2016|
|Video Segment (s)||
"Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal
Live recording from the funeral services for Bishop James Pazhayattil (1934-2016). Lead voice: Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal, Archdiocese of Ernakualm-Angamaly. Note: This is the Malayalam version of a precious chant, 'Etha pus lek," from the (East) Syriac repertoire of the Chaldeo-Malabar Church in Kerala. The Malayalam translation is by Fr. Abel Periyapuram, CMI (1920-2001).The chant is unique from the perspective of the text and the melody. The change of narrative voices within the text and the melismatic ending of phrases are note worthy. A detailed study of this chant can be found in my chapter in Music and World Christianities (Oxford University Press, 2016) The chapter contains transliteration and translation of the Syriac and Malayalam versions of the text. The Syriac text is heard only rarely at present. We are fortunate to have this video from a celebrated singer of Syriac chants, Fr. Seabstian Sankoorikkal).
Joseph J. Palackal
Wiṭawāngunnēn (May I Take Leave)
1. Wiṭawāngunnēn paripāwanamām Baliwēdikaye wiṭawāngunnēn. Muṛapōlinimēl balicheywathināy Nin padatāril warikilla ñān. May I take leave, O ever sacred Altar of Sacrifice, may I take leave. From now on, as usual to offer Sacrifice At your footsteps I shall not come.
2. Wiṭawāngunnēn dēwālayame, Wānawaṛ pāṭum paramālayame, Swaṛggānandam wiḷayum ninnil Patiyillinimēl enpādangaḷ. May I take leave, O House of God, O supreme dwelling where heavenly beings [angels] sing, In you where heavenly bliss abound, Shall not tread anymore my feet.
3. Wiṭawāngunnēn dēwālayame, Wānawaṛ pāṭum paramālayame, Kīṛttana gānam pāṭunnatināy Tirusannidhiyil warikilla ñān. May I take leave, O House of God, O supreme dwelling where heavenly beings sing, To sing the songs of praise, To the sacred Presence I shall not come.
4. Iniyen pṛiyare, pōkunnu ñān Antimayātṛa wandanamōṭe. Dēwālayame, pōkunnu ñān Kaṛmangaḷkkāy warikillinimēl. Now, my beloved people, I am going, With the final journey’s farewell; O House of God, I am going; For the rituals I shall not come anymore.
see also Item no. 10 in researches/resources-for-researchers#10
- AP 11-26 - "Witawangunnen" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Malayalam version of Etha Pus Lek
- AP 12a - Wita wangunnen. Fr. Abel CMI. funeral for priests
- AP 59a - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about a unique Syriac chant from the funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 62dd - Melody of Wita Wangunnen (funeral service for priests)
- AP 81 - "Etha Pus lek" from funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 81a - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 85 - Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil
- AP 131 - Fr George Vithayathil sings "Witawangunnen" from funeral service for priests
- AP 140i - Nrupanaam Misiha. From the funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140j - Walsala Janame. From funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140k - Unnatha Wanitame. Funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140l - "Mruthiyute nadam." Funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140m - Anthimayaathra' funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140n - Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140o - "Witawangunnen naswaramulakil." funeral precession. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140p - "Anayunniso." Funeral services. Syro Malabar. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140q - "Parishudhanmar." Funeral services. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140r - "Nadhananjitumanthima Nalil." Funeral services. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 177 - "Witawangunnen" Funeral services for priests. Fr. Sankoorikkal
- AP 230(219) - The meaning of "Qurbana" in the chant, ETHA PUS LEK. Dharmaram college. (2014)
- AP 235 - വിടവാങ്ങുന്നേൻ In Homage to Fr. Cherian Nereveetil. Voice of Fr. Abel CMI.
- AP 236 - Homage to Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR : 'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE!
- AP 25 - Rev. Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- Also avialable segment videos of AP 25
- AP 175 - Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal. Solemn Qurbana in Syriac (pre-1962 version).
- AP 238 - HOMAGE TO A SYRIAC MUSIC LEGEND: FR. SEBASTIAN SANKOORICKAL .
- AP 238a - Fr. SEBASTIAN SANKOORICKAL - സുറിയാനി (പാരമ്പര്യം) എൻ്റെ അമ്മ!
- AP 238b - Bro. Joseph T Puthenkudy ; Homage to My Malpan- Fr. Sebastian Sankoorickal .
- AP 238c - ആരാധനാ ഗീതങ്ങളുടെ സ്വർഗ്ഗീയ നാദം - Fr. SEBASTIAN SANKOORICKAL (1935-2021)