AP 290 to 281
Awun d wasmayya (Our Father in heaven) : Analytical Study
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Awun d wasmayya (Our Father in heaven) : Analytical Study|
|Place of Recording||The home of Jeena and Zacharias P. Thundy, South Bend, Indiana, USA.|
|Date of Recording||12 February 2022|
|Video Segment (s)||
Was the Lord's Prayer lost in translation from Aramaic?: Zacharias Thundy
In 2017, Pope Francis initiated a discussion on the English translation of the Our Father. Religious scholars across the globe were appalled when the Pope proposed a corrective to the centuries-old practice. The Pope asked to change the text, "Lead us not into temptation," to "Let us not fall into temptation." Dr. Zacharias Thundy ( http://christianmusicologicalsocietyo... ), a linguist, philosopher, and medievalist, wrote an extensive article supporting the Pope's idea. The article is available on our digital library. (See http://christianmusicologicalsocietyo...) Dr. Thundy applied linguistic analysis and cross-cultural studies to compare various translations with the source text in Aramaic. The video contains a summary of his arguments. We hope this video will encourage the younger generation among the Syriac Christians in India, especially the Syro Malabar Catholics who follow the East Syriac tradition, to learn the source text of the Lord's Prayer
Zacharias Thundy: http://christianmusicologicalsocietyo... Thundy, Zacahrias. "Pope Francis on the Lord’s Prayer and Historical Reflections on Syriac Influence on the Lord’s Prayer in Old English." http://christianmusicologicalsocietyo...
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
13 September 2022
Keywords : ZachariasThundy, Zac Thundy, Dr Zac Thundy, Joseph Palackal , Palackal , Our Father In Heaven , Lords Prayer, Syriac Chants , Aramaic Project, Aramaic, Lord Jesus ,Christian Musicology, Awūn D waśmayyā , Awun d wasmayya
- AP 3a - Melody of Awūn d’waśmayyā. The Lord's prayer. Fr. Paul Kodamullil.
- AP 4 - Awūn d'waśmayyā [Our Father in heaven]-Track 01- from Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 10a - Catherine teaches her sister Rebecca how to recite "Awūn d’waśmayyā" (Our Father).
- AP 10b - Catherine sings the Solemn form of the Lord's Prayer "Awūn d’waśmayyā" (Our Father) with Thrice Holy and Doxology.
- AP 21 - Recital of the Lord's Prayer in Syriac, "Awun d' wasmayya" by the First Holy Communion & Confirmation candidates.
- AP 23 - First Communion children learn to sing Our Father in Syriac.
- AP 23a - The St. Jude Syro Malabar Church choir in Northern Virginia, USA, learn "Awun d’wasmayya", the Lord's Prayer in Syriac.
- AP 70aj - "Āwūn D’wašmayyā" The Lord’s Prayer
- AP 70ar - Awūn D’wašmayyā" Our Father
- AP 80d - Our Father with thrice holy. Awun d'wasmayya
- AP 165-37 - "Awun d'washmaya." Fr. Saji Mattathil
- AP 165-43 - Awun d'wsmayya. Fr. Saji Mattathil
- AP 216 - आवून द'वशमय्या Our Father in Syriac, with Hindi transliteration and translation.
- AP 287 - AWUN D' WASMAYYA at the location in Jerusalem where Jesus taught it.