AP 180 to 171
"Bar Maryam" as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Bar Maryam as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia.|
|Place of Recording||City of Whittelesea grounds, South Morang, Melbourne|
|Date of Recording||13 December, 2019|
|Video Segment (s)||
"Bar Maryam" as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia. 2019
Note: This is a document of a unique performance that expands the geographical and semantic history of the famous Syriac chant, "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary). The St. Alphonsa Cathedral Parish choir in Melbourne, Australia took a bold decision to sing this chant at a public Christmas carol celebration. The City of Whittlesea organized the event and invited the Cathedral choir to be a participant. By singing Bar Maryam as a Christmas carol, the choir added a new performance context to this chant. They also added a new focus on Mary as the mother of the Son of God. The song assumes both Christological and Marian significance at the same time. The choir and the Syro Malabar Diocese in Australia deserve praise for adding the sound of the ancient Aramaic language to the linguistic soundscape of Australia. The geographical extent of this East Syriac chant has now reached a faraway continent. On a corrective, the pronunciation of the last phrase in the refrain should be “YELDAS Maryam,” (instead of YELDES Maryam). We are grateful to Justin Mathew for documenting this historic moment, and to Abin Koovaplackal for sharing this video for publication on our channel.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
8 March 2020
- AP 4w - Bar maryam [Son of Mary] Track 25 Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 5a - K. O. Chacko Koythadathil sings "Marayor paawe," a Tamil song in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, set to the tune of the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 15c - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt Sings "Bar Maryam"
- AP 43 - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal, CMI teaches the Syriac chant Bar Mariam. Ripon College, Oxford.
- AP 51m - Hymn in honor of St John Nepomucene to the melody of ’Bar Maryam.
- AP 53 - George Thaila in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- AP 59b - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about the famous Syriac chant "Bar Maryam"
- AP 87 - Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal
- AP 146 - Practice session for bilingual Qurbana at National Convention in Houston, Texas
- AP 184 - CMI fathers in North America learn, "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 185 - Catherine Felix plays the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary) on piano.
- AP 187 - The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio
- AP 229(218) - Bar Maryam at Dharmaram College (2014)
- AP 278 - Is 'BAR MARYAM' ("Son of Mary") KNANAYA? : 'ബർ മറിയം' "മറിയത്തിന്റെ മകൻ"
- AP 280 / AP3-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean version from Iraq. Fr. Stefan Rabban Cor Episcopa.
- AP 281 / AP2-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean Syrian Church of the East, India. Fr. A. Kaitharan