AP 190 to 181
The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio.
|Place of Recording||Vatican Radio|
|Date of Recording||22 & 23 January, 2016|
|Video Segment (s)||
The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio
Dr. Joseph J. Palackal, CMI answers a question from Fr. William Nellkkal, the director of the Malayalam section of the Vatican Radio, on the oldest Christian chant in India. What follows is an interesting and intellectually stimulating conversation on the research possibilities on Christian music of India. This was the second interview on Vatican Radio. Broadcast on January 2016 http://thecmsindia.org/bar-maryam-son...
Note: During a friendly and free-spirited interview for the Malayalam section of the Vatican Radio, Fr. William Nellikkal came out with a difficult question on the earliest known Christian chant in India. My answer may be controversial. I would like informed viewers to challenge my argument and come up with their ideas. The answer, however, shows that Christian music of India in general, and Syriac chants in India, in particular, can be topics for deep doctoral researches in multiple disciplines at the musical, cultural, linguistic, theology, religion, and Anthropology departments of universities.
A correction for 2:54. The phrase, "Son of Mary," does appear in Mk 6:3. My apologies.
More information on this chant is available on our Encyclopedia of Syriac Chants. http://thecmsindia.org/bar-maryam-son...Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
23 April 2020
Keywords: William Nellikkal,. Joseph J. Palackal, Vatican Radio, Syriac chants, Aramaic Christianity in India, Bar Maryam
- AP 4w - Bar maryam [Son of Mary] Track 25 Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 5a - K. O. Chacko Koythadathil sings "Marayor paawe," a Tamil song in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, set to the tune of the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 15c - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt Sings "Bar Maryam"
- AP 43 - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal, CMI teaches the Syriac chant Bar Mariam. Ripon College, Oxford.
- AP 51m - Hymn in honor of St John Nepomucene to the melody of ’Bar Maryam.
- AP 53 - George Thaila in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- AP 59b - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about the famous Syriac chant "Bar Maryam"
- AP 87 - Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal
- AP 173 - "Bar Maryam" as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia. 2019
- AP 184 - CMI fathers in North America learn, "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 185 - Catherine Felix plays the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary) on piano.
- AP 187 - The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio
- AP 229(218) - Bar Maryam at Dharmaram College (2014)
- AP 278 - Is 'BAR MARYAM' ("Son of Mary") KNANAYA? : 'ബർ മറിയം' "മറിയത്തിന്റെ മകൻ"
- AP 280 / AP3-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean version from Iraq. Fr. Stefan Rabban Cor Episcopa.
- AP 281 / AP2-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean Syrian Church of the East, India. Fr. A. Kaitharan