AP 90 to 81
Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal.
|Place of Recording||St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Church at Somerset, New Jersey|
|Date of Recording||5 May 2018|
|Video Segment (s)||
Bar Mariyam during priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal
In this video we see history in the making. For the first time, the ancient Syriac hymn, ""Bar mariyam"" (“Son of Mary”) is heard in the context of a sacerdotal ordination. Here is a deliberate attempt toward re-imagining the (East) Syriac heritage by the young generation of Syro Malabar Catholics in the USA. The occasion was the priestly ordination of Fr. Kevin Mundackal for the St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago. The ordination took place at St. Thomas Syro Malabar Catholic Church at Somerset, New Jersey, on 5 May 2018. Fr. Kevin, in consultation with the choir, decided to add a Syriac element to the ceremony by singing two chants in Syriac, the trisagion ("Qandisa alaha," see Aramaic Project-86 ) and "Bar mariyam" ( see more on this chant at christianmusicologicalsociety.com). 'Bar mariyam,' which is a para-liturgical hymn, was sung during the kissing of the anointed hands of the newly ordained priest. Until this event, "Bar mariyam" used to be associated with the wedding ceremonies of the Knanaya Christians, an endogamous community among the St. Thomas Christians. By including this chant in the sacerdotal ceremony, Fr. Kevin has not only expanded the performance context, but also reclaimed the chant as a part of the common heritage of all the St. Thomas Christians. Fr. Kevin’s decision will surely lead to a new conversation on the Syriac identity of the Syro Malabar Church. It will also add to the evolving chapter in the story of the East Syriac language in America. It is interesting to see that the conversation that started on 7 September 2013 at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D. C. is gaining momentum. (See Aramaic Project 66 & 65 ). The Christian Musicological Society of India congratulates Fr. Kevin and the choir.Joseph J. Palackal
11 May 2018
- AP 4w - Bar maryam [Son of Mary] Track 25 Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India
- AP 5a - K. O. Chacko Koythadathil sings "Marayor paawe," a Tamil song in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, set to the tune of the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 15c - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt Sings "Bar Maryam"
- AP 51m - Hymn in honor of St John Nepomucene to the melody of ’Bar Maryam.
- AP 53 - George Thaila in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- AP 59b - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about the famous Syriac chant "Bar Maryam"
- AP 146 - Practice session for bilingual Qurbana at National Convention in Houston, Texas
- AP 173 - "Bar Maryam" as Christmas carol, in Melbourne, Australia. 2019
- AP 184 - CMI fathers in North America learn, "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary).
- AP 185 - Catherine Felix plays the Syriac chant "Bar Maryam" (Son of Mary) on piano.
- AP 187 - The oldest Christian chant in India, Bar Maryam?/ Vatican Radio
- AP 229(218) - Bar Maryam at Dharmaram College (2014)
- AP 278 - Is 'BAR MARYAM' ("Son of Mary") KNANAYA? : 'ബർ മറിയം' "മറിയത്തിന്റെ മകൻ"
- AP 280 / AP3-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean version from Iraq. Fr. Stefan Rabban Cor Episcopa.
- AP 281 / AP2-06 - BAR MARYAM. Chaldean Syrian Church of the East, India. Fr. A. Kaitharan
- AP 86 - "Qandisa alaha," during the rite of priestly ordination of Rev Kevin Mundackal
- AP 105 - Syriac hymn in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Sung during the priestly ordination ceremony of Fr. Jojo Thalikasthanam, CMI
- AP 195 - Syriac chants during priestly ordination of Fr Melvin Paul. Chicago