AP 240 to 231
Qambel Maran, കമ്പെൽ മാറൻ: Syriac Chant by Fr. Paul Kodamullil.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Qambel Maran, കമ്പെൽ മാറൻ: Syriac Chant by Fr. Paul Kodamullil.|
|Place of Recording||Qambal Maran CD|
|Date of Recording|
|Video Segment (s)||
Qambel Maran, കമ്പെൽ മാറൻ: Syriac Chant by Fr. Paul Kodamullil
We are glad to present another recording of a unique chant from the melodic repertory of the Syro Malabar Church. The singer is Fr. Paul Kodamullil, who was a member of the Diocese of Kothamangalam in the Idukki district of Kerala. Melodies of Syriac chants mainly existed in oral tradition. For that reason, individual variations were inevitable. Depending on the musical talent, each priest took freedom in adding ornamentations while keeping the general contours of the melody intact. There used to be a saying about Syriac chants in Kerala that no two singers sing alike. Therefore, finding the “original” or the “correct”melody of a chant is a difficult task. Our role is to present as many different renderings of a melody as possible and archive them in our library for the use of future researchers. We plan to publish more samples from our collection in the near future. The recording was made on a cassette tape recorder on 10 August 2000. The audio quality has diminished over the years. We take this opportunity to thank all who support our effort to build a digital library.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
23 June 2021
Keywords - Fr Paul Kodamullil, Syro Malabar, Syro Malabar Church, Diocese of Kothamangalam, Kothamangalam, Kodamullil, Paul, Syriac, Syriac Chants, Chants, Syriac Music, Indian, Indian Music, Christian, Christian Music, Indian Christianity, Christianity in India, Syriac Christianity, Church of the East, Chaldean Syrian, Assyrian Church, Assyrian Church Of The East, Chaldean Syrian Church of the East, Qambel Maran, Funeral Services, Christian Funeral, Liturgy, Catholic, Christian, Christian Musicology, Joseph Palackal, Palackal, Aramaic, AramaicProject, Aramaic Project, Aramaic Language
- AP 4 - Awūn d'waśmayyā [Our Father in heaven]-Track 01- from Qambel Maran
- Also available segment videos AP 4 - list
- AP 11-7 - "Qambel Maran" Fr. Abel, CMI sings syriac chants
- AP 15e - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt speaks about Joseph Palackal and his CD "Qambel Maran"
- AP 24 - Marianne Thaila in conversation with Dr. Joseph J. Palackal.
- AP 57 - Bilingual singing of Qambel Maran.
- AP 62ff - Melody of “qambel Maran”
- AP 140c - Melody of Qambel Maran (Fr. George Plathottam)
- AP 248(237) - QAMBEL MARAN By Fr. CYRIL THAYYIL at the tomb of Mar Joseph Kariattil on 9.9.21