AP 230 to 221
A Second Melody of the Resurrection Hymn, Laku Mara.Fr. G. Nellikat .
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||A Second Melody of the Resurrection Hymn, Laku Mara.Fr. G. Nellikat .|
|Place of Recording||Track from the Music CD - Solemn Qurbana by Fr. George Nellikkatt|
|Date of Recording|
|Video Segment (s)||
ലാകു മാറാ . A second melody. Resurrection Hymn ഉത്ഥാന ഗീതം. Fr. G. Nellikat
In this video, we introduce a second melody of the Resurrection Hymn, Laku Mara. It is from a recording of solemn Qurbana in Syriac by Fr. George Nellikkatt and the Cicilan choir. Babu Puthumana, an admirer of Fr. Nellikkat, made the recording. This melody is known only to a few priests and church choirs in Kerala. From Fr. Paul Kodamullil’s interview in Aramaic Project-3 (https://youtu.be/8Vxv4JRQH1o), we learn that Fr. Mathew Vadakel, a singer, professor, and scholar of the Syriac language at St. Joseph’s Seminary at Aluva, composed the melody, sometime in the early 1950s. The variety of melodies of the same chant indicates that local choirs enjoyed considerable freedom in the selection of music for the Qurbana. The melody is unique in many ways. It has two incipits and one strophe. The incipits are in the same meter and melody of the strophe. This is different from the usual performance practice in which the incipit is articulated a tempo rubato without adhering to the meter of the strophe. In the third iteration of the chant, the deacon’s exhortation completes the cadence in the melody. That, too, is unusual. In Aramaic Project-138 https://youtu.be/afyxLpf8JCk (37:00) we hear this melody in the voice of Bennedy Anikkad. We are grateful to Babu Puthumana for granting permission to post this melody on our channel and to archive it in our library. References: Aramaic Project-3 (https://youtu.be/8Vxv4JRQH1o) Aramaic Project-138 https://youtu.be/afyxLpf8JCk (37:00
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
7 January 2021
- AP 3b - Melody of the Resurrection hymn, Lāku Mārā. Fr. Paul Kodamullil.
- AP 29 - Fr. Thomas Perumayan teaches the Sunday School children "Laaku Maara".
- AP 37 - Melody of "Laaku Maara." Resurrection hymn in Syriac.
- AP 52k - Melodies of “U al appay” and “Laaku Maaraa.” Chanting of slotha (prayer) followed by the Resurrection hymn in Syriac.
- AP 62g - Fr. Mathew Mattam. Melody of Lāku Mārā Resurrection Hymn;
- AP 64a - Lāku Mārā. Resurrection hymn in Syriac during Qurbana in Malayalam.
- AP 78e - Laku Mara - Binu & Deepa singing syriac chants
- AP 80h - Lakumara - Resurrectioh hymn in Syriac
- AP 82b - Laku mara. Resurrection hymn in Syriac, during trilingual (German, English and Syriac) qurbana.
- AP 145 - "Laku mara," during bilngual Qurbana in Houston, Texas
- AP 165-7 - "Lakumara" Resurrection Hymn. Fr. Saji Mattathil