AP 230 to 221
The meaning of "Qurbana" in the chant, ETHA PUS LEK. Dharmaram college.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||The meaning of "Qurbana" in the chant, ETHA PUS LEK. Dharmaram college.|
|Place of Recording||Dharmaram College, Bengaluru|
|Date of Recording||18 July 2014|
|Video Segment (s)||
From a lecture on Christian Musicology of India at Dharmaram College. 18 July 2014. 7 PM The word Qurbana takes special meaning in the famous chant Edta Pus Lek Baslama (O Church, remain in Shanthi). This chant is a musical drama in eight stanzas and is a golden treasure in the Syriac music repertory. The leading narrative voice is that of the deceased priest. In the middle of the chant, the narrative voice changes; the congregation bids farewell to the deceased priest. The musical setting is syllabic with melismatic ornamentations at the end of selected phrases. Stylistically, the melody is similar to that of Qambel Maran. Fortunately, we have documented the Syriac and Malayalam versions of the chant in the voice of several priests, including Fr. Abel Periyappuram who created the Malayalam version that is in use currently in the Syro Malabar Church. See more information at Joseph J. Palackal. "The Survival Story of Syriac Chants among the St. Thomas Christians in South India." In Music and World Christianities. Oxford University Press (2016). https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...
- Fr. Probus, CMI sings Etha Pus Lek in the CD Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India.Aramaic Project-4P. https://youtu.be/l4eFJi2oBKg.
- Fr. Sankoorikkal sings "Witawangunnen". Aramaic Project-177 https://youtu.be/ZVo2cz8j7hU .
- Fr. Abel, CMI sings "Witawangunnen." Aramaic Project -11.9. https://youtu.be/crTYiUzNbzA.
- Fr. George Plathottam sings "Witwangunnen." Aramaic Project-140N.https://youtu.be/m0qcqmPIlVo .
- Fr. George Plathottam sings "Etha Pus Lek." Aramaic Project-81. https://youtu.be/pOgIOLZq5yc.
- Fr. Cyril Thayil sings "Etha Pus Lek Baslma." Aramaic Project-85 https://youtu.be/pOgIOLZq5yc.
A comparative study of the text and melody of Etha Pus Lek and Witawangunnen." Joseph J. Palackal. "The Survival Story of Syriac Chants among the St. Thomas Christians in South India." In Music and World Christianities. Oxford University Press (2016). https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/...
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
21 February 2021
- AP 11-26 - "Witawangunnen" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Malayalam version of Etha Pus Lek
- AP 12a - Wita wangunnen. Fr. Abel CMI. funeral for priests
- AP 59a - Dr. Joseph J. Palackal sings and speaks about a unique Syriac chant from the funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 62dd - Melody of Wita Wangunnen (funeral service for priests)
- AP 81 - "Etha Pus lek" from funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 81a - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church
- AP 84 - "Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Sung by Fr. S. Sankoorikkal
- AP 85 - Etha Pus Lek. From Funeral services for priests. lead voice: Fr. Cyril Thayyil
- AP 131 - Fr George Vithayathil sings "Witawangunnen" from funeral service for priests
- AP 140i - Nrupanaam Misiha. From the funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140j - Walsala Janame. From funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140k - Unnatha Wanitame. Funeral service. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140l - "Mruthiyute nadam." Funeral service for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140m - Anthimayaathra' funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140n - Witawangunnen." Funeral services for priests. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140o - "Witawangunnen naswaramulakil." funeral precession. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 140p - "Anayunniso." Funeral services. Syro Malabar. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140q - "Parishudhanmar." Funeral services. Fr. George Plathottam
- AP 140r - "Nadhananjitumanthima Nalil." Funeral services. Fr. Plathottam
- AP 235 - വിടവാങ്ങുന്നേൻ In Homage to Fr. Cherian Nereveetil. Voice of Fr. Abel CMI.
- AP 236 - Homage to Fr. SINSON EDAKKALATHOOR : 'Edta Pus Lek' : GO IN PEACE!