AP 140 to 131
Syriac chants during the wedding at Dallas, USA: Denny & Neena.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Syriac chants during the wedding at Dallas, USA: Denny & Neena.
|Place of Recording||Syro Malabar Forane Catholic Church, Dallas|
|Date of Recording||11 May. 2019|
|Video Segment (s)||
Syriac chants during the wedding at Dallas, USA: Denny & Neena
This video is yet another example of how young Syro Malabar Catholics, who are born and raised in the USA. Denny and Neena felt comfortable in incorporating three Syriac chants into the wedding ceremony. The choir members, under the leadership of Jones Kalarickal, was had already mastered these songs. The choir also did something innovative. They sand the Holy Holy Holy in Syriac. The celebrant sang his part in Malayalam. This is the first time we hear a bilingual Holy. The transition from Malayalam to Syriac sounded smooth. Such bold experiments have far-reaching effects in reclaiming the Syriac heritage. Earlier, Tensen Kalarickal made history by organizing a complete Syriac Qurbana with the help of this choir in the Syro Malabar Cathedral in Chicago (see Aramaic Project-100.) The congregations in the Chicago-Dallas areas are getting used to the sounds and melodies in Syriac. We are grateful to Tensen Kalarickal and his team in taking the initiative.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
18 June 2019
- AP 77 - Syriac Christian Wedding in India
- AP 141 - Marriage of Ribin Jose and Reshma: Reclaiming an old custom
- AP 149 - Bilingual Nuptial Qurbana: wedding of Anija and George Njarakunnel
- AP 169 - Wedding of Dixon and Nivya. Ramsa at the home of the groom. Reviving old customs.
- AP 170 - Wedding of Dixon & Nivya. Chantham Charthal (beautification) of the groom
- AP 226 (215) - കിരീടം വാഴ്വ് : Crowning ceremony at Syro Malabar wedding. Sherin & Treesa
- AP 259 - Revival of Crowning ceremony . Syro Malabar wedding of Joseph & Jiss, Kalathil
- AP 314 - Reclaiming Syriac Traditions Kireedam Vazhvu. Adv. Sam Sunny and Dency John