AP 160 to 151
Fr. George Nellikkatt: Solemn Qurbana in Syriac.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title||Fr. George Nellikkatt: Solemn Qurbana in Syriac.
|Place of Recording||Studio Recording at SOUND TRACK, Kottayam.|
|Date of Recording||Year 2012|
|Video Segment (s)||
Fr. George Nellikkatt: Solemn Qurbana in Syriac
We are delighted to add yet another precious gem to the treasury of our musical archive. This recording of the solemn Syriac Qurbana in the golden voice of a celebrated singer, Fr. George Nellikkatt (1935-2006), is a gift to us from Babu Puthumana, who knew Fr. Nellikkatt closely and worked with him for many years. This is one of the two recordings that Babu gave to us, along with permission to post them on our channel. Fr. Nellikkatt had a full-throated voice that reminds us of European opera tenors. According to Babu Puthumana, Fr. Nellikkatt was full of energy that he could sing two Solemn Qurbana on the same day. This recording is a document of the revised (post-1962) Qurbana text. The Qurbana begins with the minor doxology followed by “Puqdankon.” We hear melodies that are from the Mangalappuzha era (St. Joseph’s Seminary). For example, the melody and performance practice of the Resurrection hymn and the Trisagion may probably be by Fr. Mathew Vadakel in the 1950s. We heard the same melody from Fr. Paul Kodamullil ( Aramaic Project 3B), who studied at the Mangalappuzha seminary. Overall, this recording is a marker of an era in the history of Syriac chants in India.
Joseph J. Palackal,
CMI New York
26 October 2019
- AP 35 - "Suwha lawaa." Commemoration hymn from the solemn Qurbana in Syriac.
- AP 38 - Alleluia from the solemn Qurbana of the Syro Malabar Church in Syriac.
- AP 52a - Melody of "U al ar'a" (And on earth). Syriac translation of 'Gloria in Excelsis Deo'. From the solemn Qurbana in Syriac in the Syro Malabar Church before 1962.
- AP 52c - Sebastian Menachery sings and speaks about the chant, 'Barek Maar" (Bless O Lord) from solemn celebration of Qurbana in Syriac in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 52e - Melody of "M’haymneenan" from the Creed In Syriac during solemn celebration of Qurbana. Probabaly composed in Kerala
- AP 52m - Melody of "Ahai Qambel." which is the deacon's invitation to receive the holy communion from the Solemn Qurbana.
- AP 52n - Melody of “Rahme Suqaanaa”, from the reconciliation rite in the solemn Qurbana.
- AP 54f - Fr. Jose P. Kottaram sings "Thaibūthe d’māran īšōmišīhâ." Blessing and the Salutation and dialogue in solemn Qurbana: Syriac and Malayalam versions.
- AP 54g - Fr. Jose P. Kottaram sings two melodies of “Kad qāyēn” - the introduction to "Holy, Holy Holy" in solemn Qurbana in Syriac.
- AP 54h - Fr. Jose P. Kottaram sings "Yāēmār b’kōl yāwmīn" which is the slotha (prayer) before the Huthamma (final blessing) on Sundays in Qurbana in Syriac.
- AP 62cc - Melody of Final Blessing in Solemn Qurbana
- AP 70 - Fr. George Plathottam. Solemn sung Qurbana in Syriac
- AP 70h - Lākāu Mārā. Resurrection hymn from Syro Malabar Qurbana in Syriac
- AP 70n - Alleluia from Solemn Qurbana in Syriac. Celebrant: Fr. George Plathottam.
- AP 80 - Solemn sung Qurbana (Syriac). Msgr. Jacob Vellian
- AP 80c - "Thesbohtha l'alāhā" (Glory to God) Excerpt from Solemn Qurbana in Syriac
- AP 96 - Solemn Sung Qurbana in Syriac at Irinjalakkuda
- AP 100 - A Historic Event - Solemn Qurbana in Syriac
- AP 119 - Solemn Syriac Qurbana . Fr. Probus Perumalil, CMI. A musical treasure
- AP 122 - Fr Cyril Thayyil. Solemn Qurbana in Syriac. Koovappadam, Kochi
- AP 155 - Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt. Solemn Qurbana in Syriac. Elanji
- AP 156 - Fr Cyril Thayyil: Solemn Qurbana in Syriac at Kuravilangad
- AP 165 - Solemn Qurbana in Syriac. Fr. Saji Mattathil, Fr. Joseph Pathil
- AP 172 - Fr Paul Kodamullil. Solemn Syriac Qurbana. Pre-1962 version
- AP 175 - Fr. Sebastian Sankoorikkal. Solemn Qurbana in Syriac (pre-1962 version)