AP 90 to 81
Young Syro Malabar Catholics getting comfortable with bilingual Qurbana.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Young Syro Malabar Catholics getting comfortable with bilingual Qurbana.
|Place of Recording||St. Joseph's Monastery at Mannanam|
|Date of Recording||19-Aug 2017|
|Video Segment (s)||
Young Syro Malabar Catholics getting comfortable with bilingual Qurbana
Maria Joseph and Bro. Libin singing Syriac chants from memory
Note: In this video, we see two young Syro Malabar Catholics who are comfortable singing Syriac chants during Qurbana in Malayalam. We were walking to the St. Joseph’s Monastery (Mannanam) archive, when we heard the sound of Syriac chant coming from the Monastery Chapel a few feet away. We managed to find the singers after the mass for this interview. Both Maria Joseph and Bro. Libin, CMI sang the chants from memory. They admitted that they did not fully understand the meaning of the words, yet they enjoyed singing these chants. Maria said that the melodies elicited devotion. Worthy of special mention is how correctly Maria pronounced the phrase “Halleluiah” (“Hallel Yahweh,” “praise God”), instead of the inaccurate pronunciation, “Alleluia.” Brother Libin, a seminarian in the religious Congregation of the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (C. M. I.). joined us half-way through and Maria and Libin sang together the Syriac version of the Anthem of the Mysteries. Overall, these young singers give us hope of a resurgence of the Syriac tradition among the Syro Malabar Catholics.
Joseph J. Palackal
19 May 2018
- AP 50 - "Suwhalaawa." Bilingual singing in Syriac and Malayalam. Commemoration Hymn
- AP 57 - Bilingual singing of Qambel Maran.
- AP 132 - Syriac chants from bilingual Qurbana at Jubilee mass.
- AP 132a - Puqdankon during bilingual Qurbana at St. Stans, New York.
- AP 132b - Qandiśā Alāhā during bilingual Qurbana at St. Stans, New York.
- AP 135 - Bilingual Qurbana in New Jersey, USA.
- AP 136 - Bilingual Qurbana at Ukranian Cathedral, London.
- AP 137a - Bilingual Holy, Holy, Holy (Malayalam/Syriac), Dallas, USA.
- AP 142 - Qandisa alaha during bilingual Qurbana at Syro Malabar Convention in Houston.
- AP 144 - Institution Narrative in Syriac during bilingual Qurbana at Syro Malabar Conven.
- AP 149 - Bilingual Nuptial Qurbana: wedding of Anija and George Njarakunnel.
- AP 151 - Francesca Pulicken in attendance at the practice session for bilingual Qurbana.
- AP 153 - Bilingual Qurbana at Sacred Heart Church, Glendale, New York.
- AP 191 - Five-hundred children preparing for bilingual (English/Syriac )Qurbana.
- AP 201 - Bishop Mar Thomas Tharayil: Syriac Hymns and Kyananas during Bilingual Qurbana.
- AP 215 - Bishop Thomas Tharayi: Bilingual Qurbana.
- AP 217 - Sunil and Seena : Bilingual Nuptial Qurbana. A historic event.
- AP 249 - SYRO MALABAR QURBANA. ENGLISH/SYRIAC. Fr. JOSEPH J PALACKAL, CMI , UK. 2015