AP 20 to 11
Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies in Syriac and Malayalam. Kalabhavan 1997.
|Part Number||Part I - Syro Malabar Church|
|Title|| Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies in Syriac and Malayalam. Kalabhavan 1997.
|Place of Recording||Kalabhavan Studio|
|Date of Recording||Dec 1997.|
|Video Segment (s)||
AP 11.1 to 11.26
Here is a sound testimony to a glorious past in the history of the Syro Malabar Church. Fr. Abel, who played a significant role in the transition of the Syriac liturgy into Malayalam, in the 1960s, sings the model melodies he chose for the liturgy of the Hours in Malayalam. Fr. Abel recorded these melodies in his own voice at my request. I wanted to study these melodies for my doctoral dissertation at the City University of New York (2005). Transcription of these model melodies is part of Chapter six in my doctoral dissertation. In this recording, we can hear his singing voice as well as is speaking voice in the Introduction. Fr. Abel transcribed the chant texts in Malayalam script. He also wrote a personal letter to me with his comments on the chants. We have posted the manuscript and the letter in the Resources of Researchers section on the web site of www.thecmsindia.org. See my note on 008-167. This recording and the manuscript are first-class relics from the past. They are unique treasures of the Syro Malabar Church and a great resource for researchers.
Joseph J. Palackal, CMI
11 March 2020
- AP 11.1 – "Handanawse" Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.2 – "Laika esal min ruhak" Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.3 – "Pus baslama" in the voice of Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.4 – "Isya dawramse" Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.5 – "B'hadmin yawmin" in the voice of Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.6 – "Eramarmaka" . Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.7 – "Qambel Maran" Fr. Abel, CMI sings syriac chants
- AP 11.8 – "Qambel Maran", in the voice of Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.9 – "Yada husawe" in the voice of Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.10 – "Brikitho l'Marya" -Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.11 – "Maryam b'sultha" Fr. Abel sings model melodies
- AP 11.12 – "Sahde Waithon" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Model melodies
- AP 11.13 – "Esthappanos" Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.14 – "Sma alaha" Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.17 – "Sambah sandiqe". Fr. Abel, CMI sings Model melodies
- AP 11.18 – "Brik Hannana"/"Ulakin Nadha." Fr. Abel, CMI sings model melodies
- AP 11.19 – "Misiha Paroqe d'alma"/ "Karthawu mahathwathote Bharikkunnu"
- AP 11.20 – "Ksawa Ramba"/ "Sayam Kalamatukkunnu." Fr. Abel, CMI
- AP 11.21 – "Manay Hade"/ "Mruthiyute kotutham kottakalellam"/ "Parlokathin"
- AP 11.22 – "Briku Rambuku Marya"/ "Jeewitha Bharangal"
- AP 11.23 – "Proqu Marya"/ "Thingi warunnu"
- AP 11.24 – "Baslos Kene"/ "Marthyanu Raksha Pakarnnawane"
- AP 11.25 – "La Thekare Lak"/ "Asthiramallo Bhuwanwumathile"
- AP 11.26 – "Witawangunnen" Fr. Abel, CMI sings Malayalam version of Etha Pus Lek
- AP 4J - "O dezdamman inja" track 11 from Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from South India.
- AP 4M - "Qambel Maran", track 14. Qambel Maran: Syriac Chants from south India.
- AP 12 - Fr. Abel Periyapuram, C. M. I. sings Syriac and Malayalam versions of melodies from the liturgy of the Syro-Malabar Church. Introduction by Joseph J. Palackal. Recorded on 22 July 1998 at ASA Music Productions in Mount Vernon, New York.
- AP 12a - Wita wangunnen. Fr. Abel CMI. funeral for priests "Witawangunnen." Fr. Abel sings his own (free) translation of the Syriac chant, "Etha pus lek" (farewell O church) from the Funeral services for priests in the Syro Malabar Church.
- AP 13 - Fr. Abel Periyapuram, C. M. I. sings Malayalam version of model melodies from the liturgy of the Hours of the Syro-Malabar Church for the doctoral study of Joseph J. Palackal. Recorded at Fr. Abel's office at Kalabhavan, Kochi, Kerala on 23 Aug 2001.
- AP 14 - Fr. Abel Periyapuram, C. M. I. sings chants from the liturgy of the Syro-Malabar Church. Recorded at Joseph J. Palackal's office in Maspeth, New York on 20 Sep 1997 during Fr. Abel's visit to U. S. A. Of special interest is the conversation between Fr. Abel and Joseph J. Palackal on the rhythmic aspects of these melodies.
- AP 253 - Fr. Abel's Voice. A Res Qala (Model Melody). Syriac and Malayalam versions.